Sunday, July 1, 2007

So close, yet so far

This morning, I arrive at the doors of my office as usual. Doors are usually opened at that hour, but when I was trying to swing it open, it didn't budge, and I couldn't see my colleagues from that point of view. In reaction, I shook on the door like a moron, instead of looking for another possible way which will open the door, which there is. I was stoned for a moment when one of my female colleagues came to the door, taking out a familiar piece of doodad from the pocket of her pants - an access card, which apparently, I have as well, as does every employee of the company. I immediately realize the card tagging machine right by the far left side of the door, and gave a good mental smack to the head. The access card system has been installed, after a few weeks of shifting to the new office location. A thought occurred to me, on how in the world could I have missed that obvious contraption that is only a few inches away from the door? I chose to shake the doors instead, that fool in me that's hoping that the doors will swing open miraculously.

It's quite similar to life, my life, at least. I look at things on the short term. The apparent reason for shaking on the door is because my hands were on the handles of the door, so when I can't open the door, I try to force it. If I chose to lay back a little, and ponder on why the door is locked, I could very well have notice the card tagging machine. It's not really oblivious. I didn't see it because it wasn't there last week. I chose not to see it, the very same reason I couldn't see or sense the little changes that have occurred around me. I should really pay more attention to the little details that matter. Like they say, how you bring yourself around will reflect who you really are. There were so many better solutions to problems, but I have always been taking the path that requires the least reasoning. More life, more re-evaluation on the self. Your actions define your well being, so I hope the next time I see doors that wouldn't open, I have a sledgehammer ready. *chuckles*

Cheers!

No comments: