Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hot Pitstops

The train saves me lots of time and money for not having to drive to work. No jams and no fuel expenses, who could complain? Then there is the saying "Good things come to an end", which rings true at times. I remember being in a train where one of its compartments is having an air conditioning failure, which means no cool air with dozens of people crammed in a train, in hot country. I happened to be in that compartment on a day to work. The heat building up was a slow process, like poison. It was until a few stops later, the people in the compartment begin to show signs of sweat. I was one of them. It's like sauna, with less heat, but many more people in it. I don't mind sweating before working. It's just the impatient people in the train that I can't stand. They have to move around, "tsk"ing around, and grumbling around like people around him/her aren't irritated by the heat as well. With a few of them doing the same thing, I keep wondering to myself, does it help? It builds more heat, and others get irritated more seeing them going on with their not-so-silent protests. Hey, it's freaking hot, we get it. Stop contributing to the heat, everyone is as hot and sweaty as you. Bloody morons, if you'd asked me.

Then there is another time where there was a power supply failure on some station, no air conditioning and only one track can be used at a time, so the train will stop after every two stops, to allow the train on the opposite track to pass, means interchanging of tracks at intervals. Each intervals would be a 30 minutes wait, so in my tiny little mind, I made calculations. The train stops after two stations, means it will stop at the 3rd station, the 6th station, and so on. My stop was the 8th station, and my heart nearly screamed with joy, since I performed this calculation on the 2nd 30-minute wait of the train. The years of hard training on Mathematics finally paid off. I finally reached my stop and wipe off the sweat from my forehead, and vowed never to enter train where the air conditioning is screwed.

No comments: