Tuesday, May 22, 2007

If I was, if I were

Like any other day in my life, I was going on my daily routine, my thought came upon an interesting question: When we want to use the "what-if" scenario on ourselves, do we use "If I was" or "If I were"? Since childhood, I was brought up to think that "I" is a singular pronoun that is followed by singular verbs, for example, "I was sleeping", or "I was lazing around". Grammatically speaking, "I were sleeping" is wrong, but I recalled instances where I heard people using "If I were..." on the television. So, like any other curious denizens of the world, I went to Google and searched "If I were". and found an interesting example:
"If I was a hopeless cad, I apologize."
"If I were a hopeless cad, I would never apologize."
http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxifiwas.html
It helped me understood better, both were correct, and the context greatly differs from each other. Laughing with myself, I begin to realize how Internet users, like us, are prone to Google for stuffs. See? Google actually became a verb in everyday sentences. Internet is blending in so seamlessly into the trend of the world, and by the time we realized it's too late, Internet has a hold over everyone.
"If I was a moron, I don't care."
"If I were a moron, I don't give a shit on what you are thinking"
XD - I am D Umbrella Moron. HAH! Who's your dummy now?

No comments: